Steve J. Stern
Alberto Flores Galindo and Hilldale Professor of History
Office: 5105 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 5011 Mosse Humanities
Curriculum Vitae: View PDF
Office Hours: Mondays 5:00 - 6:00
Education: PhD: Yale;
MA: Yale; BA: Cornell
My specialization is Latin America (esp. colonial, Andes, Mexico, Chile).
My Research and Teaching Interests: I teach and research Latin American history. My research and teaching interests vary widely, but often focus on the various ways people cope with problems of power and social conflict in their societies. Specific research themes have included Amerindian responses to colonialism, gender relations, political economy, social acquiescence and rebelliousness, and memories of trauma and political violence. My regional interests focus especially on the Andes, Mexico, and Chile/Southern Cone. I think of students, both undergraduate and graduate, as potential colleagues and teach accordingly.
- Reckoning with Pinochet: The Memory Question in Democratic Chile, 1989-2006. (Duke University Press, 2010)
- Battling for Hearts and Minds: Memory Struggles in Pinochet's Chile, 1973-1988 (Duke University Press, 2006).
- Remembering Pinochet's Chile: On the Eve of London 1998 (Duke University Press, 2004).
- Shining and Other Paths: War and Society in Peru, 1980-1995 (Duke University Press, 1995).
- The Secret History of Gender: Women, Men, and Power in Late Colonial Mexico (University of North Carolina Press, 1995).
- Resistance, Rebellion, and Consciousness in the Andean Peasant World, 18th to 20th Centuries (University of Wisconsin Press, 1987). **Peru's Indian Peoples and the Challenge of Spanish Conquest: Huamanga to 1640 (University of Wisconsin Press, orig. ed., 1982, expanded ed., 1993).
- History 135 - Comparative World History
- History 241 - Colonial Latin America
- History 260 - Latin America-Introduction
- History 200 - Historical Studies
- History 730 - Pro-seminar in Latin American History
- History 829 - Research Seminar in Latin American History
- History 982 - Seminar in Latin America Area